The mission of Tucker High School is to provide all students with an educational foundation to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring your people who can help create a better and more peaceful world while simultaneously reaching their maximum potential.
Tucker High School's Vision is to be a school in which the individual potential of each student is maximized through rigorous academic offerings and varied extracurricular activities. As a community school, Tucker envisions success through collaboration not only within the school but outside of it. Consistent standards and a consistent message echoed by parents, peers, and elementary, middle and high schools create a culture of achievement that will encourage students to reach their maximum potential.
Tucker High School Believes:
- Nurturing the potential in all human beings
- Building good citizens through character education
- Maintaining communication among students, parents, teachers, administration and the community
- Demonstrating respect for others
- Providing students with academic, career, technological, and life skills education
- Valuing diversity
- Nurturing a love for reading and lifelong learning
- Providing a clean and safe learning environment
- Recognizing excellence in student achievement
In 1918, Tucker High School graduated its first class, thus beginning a rich history of educational excellence. Located in Tucker, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta, the school now serves over 1500 students. Throughout its long history, Tucker's faculty and students have carried on a tradition of excellence in both scholarship and athletics. Tucker High School has grades 9 - 12 and our current enrollment is approximately 1800.
Tucker High School bases its philosophy on the firm conviction that every individual has worth and dignity. We believe that if students are to reach their potentials, they, their parents, the community, and the school must share this conviction. We seek to assist the students in becoming mature adults, prepared to continue their formal education and equip them to meet the challenges and problems created by a changing and complex society.
Tucker High School has seen many changes in its 90+ year history. It has grown from a three-room rural schoolhouse to an urban school with more than 35 ethnic groups represented in its student body. True to our philosophy, Tucker offers a challenging curriculum that addresses the needs of all its students through self-contained classes, visually impaired classes, regular education, and advanced placement. Throughout its history, Tucker has enjoyed excellent faculties and boasts that four Superintendents of Education throughout Georgia were members of Tucker's faculty at one time. Among the various programs offered at Tucker are:
Awards and Recognition
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, which is a challenging two-year academic program for students in grade 11 and 12
- STEM Program
- A+ Certification Program offered through the Technology Education department
- Business Industry Certification
- Advanced Placement (18 different courses offered)
- Art department staffed by three art teachers
Over its long history Tucker High School has achieved excellence in many areas. Recently its faculty and students have been named:
Tucker’s Habitat for Humanity Chapter has been recognized as one of the top high school chapters in the nation. The chapter has raised over $100,000 since 2002 and has partnered with other groups to build 4 homes in the metro area. Chapter members have also attended Collegiate Challenge Builds in Taos and Miami during spring break.
- DeKalb Star Student and Teacher
- DeKalb Teacher of the Year
- DeKalb Counselor of the Year
- Georgia Gymnastics Coach of the Year
- International Media Festival Winner
- AAAA State Basketball Champions
- AAA Track Champions
- AAAAA State Football Champions
- AAAA Girls State Track Champions
- Dekalb Male Diver Champions
Tucker's students are consistently selected to attend the Governor's Honors program and to be National Merit Scholarship Finalists. The school’s music program has maintained superior ratings throughout the years. Over 90% of seniors attend postgraduate schools.
BB & T Bank, Bruster's Real Ice Cream, Chick-fil-a at Tucker Station, Kroger at Cofer Crossing, Oglethorpe Power Corporation, Parkridge Wellness Center, Simple Acts of Kindness, Suntrust Bank, Tucker First Baptist Church, Tucker First United Methodist Church, and Tucker Wal-Mart
Elementary Schools:Brockett Elementary
Smoke Rise Elementary
Middle School:Tucker Middle School